Kinemetrix extends its Agile Automation philosophy to Robotic Blank Handling. Through the use of 3D vision and a clever servo-adjustable gripper, we can deliver a fast and flexible system capable of running dozens of different blank sizes with zero changeover time.
Key benefits of this system include:
- Anything-goes Pallet Handling accepts a wide variety of pallet types and stack configurations for both destacking and stacking
- High throughput while maintaining single-piece flow
- Double blank detection at the point of destack, with automatic recovery
- Destacks 2-piece blanks that arrive in tilted stacks
Destacking with 3D Vision Guidance
Traditional blank feeding equipment runs great if you give it repeatable stacks. But it’s operationally expensive to create perfect stacks of blanks on dimensionally repeatable pallets with straight pins.
What if you didn’t have to?
Kinemetrix has developed a large area 3D Vision System capable of finding stacks of blanks in a 2m x 2m space. The system provides:
- Number of stacks
- Location of each stack
- Height of each stack
The result is a complete removal of the usual constraints.
- Expensive precision pin pallets are no longer necessary
- Locating a stack precisely on a pallet is not needed
- No need to maintain identical stack heights on multi-stack operations
Anything-goes Pallet Handling
The flexibility is there for incoming (destack) or outgoing (stack) pallets. It will:
- Allow blank stacks on any pallet type
- Carry one or multiple stacks
- Provide a mounting surface for fanner magnets
- Provide locations for support pins if needed
There is no need for precise location of the pallet or stack. The 3D vision system finds the stacks and guides the robot, making the system incredibly flexible.
Blank Stacking with 3D Vision
Let us show you how our 3D vision system allows accurate stacking onto a variety of pallet types with no need to locate the pallet.
Agile Arms for Fast Changeover
The final constraint to be removed to achieve true agility is the robot gripper. Traditional systems require maintenance personnel to reposition cups on all robot grippers at changeover. This is time consuming and prone to error.
Kinemetrix Agile Arms have cups located on servo-driven arms, allowing automatic repositioning of cups for different parts. The grippers, and therefore the entire system, are able to change over to the new part in the time it takes for a new pallet of parts to move into the system.
Consider the impact this would have on the daily throughput in your plant. You will wonder why you are still doing it the traditional way.
Safer for Team Members
Moving stacks into the system on a conveyor separates team members from the robotic automation. Traditional robot destacking uses pallet locators that are within the robot reach. These locators must be loaded by a fork lift, requiring complex safety systems to keep team members safe during pallet load and unload.
Kinemetrix solution allows the forklift driver to unload empty pallets and set the incoming material on the slave pallet outside the robot perimeter.